Interaction with small-numbered indigenous peoples of the North
Among the major objectives of «Surgutneftegas» PJSC are those to preserve the primordial living environment of the indigenous people and
de-velop long-term and solid cooperation with the local population based on mu-tual respect and trust.
«Surgutneftegas» PJSC is operating in territories historically inhabited by the
Basic principles of the Company’s policy on interaction with the
- Full compliance with federal and regional legislation aimed at protecting the rights and legitimate interests of the
small-numberedindigenous peoples of the North.
- Maximum preservation of the primordial environment, traditional way of life, business activities and industries of the indigenous population.
- Recognition of the importance of land and other natural resources, preservation of the environment as the basis of the traditional way of life and traditional business activities of the
- Rational use of land and natural resources in places of traditional residence and traditional business activities of the
- Obligation to respect the ethnic identity, culture and local customs and of the indigenous people.
- Maintaining a balance between the interests of the Company and the
small-numberedindigenous peoples of the North by imposing mutual self-restrictionsand obligations.
- Ensuring participation of representatives of the
small-numberedindigenous peoples of the North in decision-makingon placement of business assets in the territory of their living and traditional farming.
- Conclusion of economic agreements and treaties as the most important tools of equal partnership with the indigenous peoples in order to compensate for the limitation imposed on the traditional use of natural resources.
- Transparency of the Company’s socially significant environmental efforts, the state of the natural environment and the relations with the
small-numbered in-digenouspeoples of the North.
In an effort to maintain a stable cooperation relationship with the
- departments and services dedicated to work with the
small-numberedindigenous peoples of the North have been set up and now operate in the Company’s headquarters and business units;
- the personnel’s awareness of the environmental safety issues is being
- the experience of other subsoil using companies, is analyzed to improve the system of relationship with the
small-numberedindigenous peoples of the North in whose territory the Company operates;
- while developing project documentation for operations and implementation of projects the following is ensured:
- agreement with the indigenous peoples about production facilities layout schemes based on the principles of free, prior and informed consent;
- allocation of transportation routes with the minimum number of crossing over the watercourses;
- construction of barriers (corrals) around production and related facilities chosen in cooperation with the indigenous peoples;
- providing the representatives of the
small-numberedindigenous peoples of the North with plans of environmental projects and their performance reports on their demand;
- compensation payments to the indigenous peoples for restriction of their traditional business activities and traditional way of life;
- effecting timely payments in accordance with the law and agreements (approvals);
- conclusion of agreements with the regional authorities and municipalities to
im-plementsocial and economic projects to develop infrastructure, support educa-tion, culture and improve living standards of the indigenous peoples;
- conclusion of contracts on subsoil use of land parcels with the heads of the
in-digenousfamilies and authorities of local municipalities aimed at solving social problems of the indigenous people;
- usage of special software
«Small-numberedindigenous peoples of the North» to monitor and control the performance of contractual relations with indigenous peoples and local authorities;
- providing assistance in the provision of health, transportation, communication services and supplies (snowmobiles, chainsaws, motorboats, construction
- organization of educational seminars with the employees of PJSC «
Surgut-neftegas»and its contractors to teach them the code of conduct in place of resi-denceof the small-numberedindigenous peoples of the North as well as un-scheduledbriefings prior to admission to work in the territory of living of the in-digenouspeoples and their traditional farming;
- adherence to a special access mode which restricts entry of unauthorized people, conveyance of fire arms, fishing equipment, explosives and hazardous chemicals, dogs and other animals as well as alcohol beverages to the territory of living of the
small-numberedindigenous peoples of the North and their traditional farming;
- prohibition of the personnel of the Company from hunting, fishing and picking up wild harvest in the territories of living of the indigenous people and their traditional farming;
- taking measures to ensure safety traffic at the intersection of road traffic routes with deer paths and roads of the indigenous peoples by sign posting, building safe crossings and driveways and their timely clearing; clearing dirt roads and driveways from fallen trees used by the
small-numberedindigenous peoples of the North;
- providing absolute inviolability of the property of the indigenous peoples as well as places of the worship and shrines.